Important gap filling for competitive exams
1. Arif is always admired for his great political---.
2. Arif did not properly utilize the time as he went on--- on one point alone.
3. There were--- views on the issue of winding up the company.
4. Would you mind--- a cup of tea with me?
A. to have
C. to drink
5. I absolutely refuse to put --- with that sort of conduct.
6. The government must--- all resources of energy.
7. The victim applied for and was --- legal aid 32 d by Government.
8. This book is a useful--- to our library.
9. We had a --- of cold weather in November.
10. A cure for all diseases is known as ---.
11. In English grammar --- deals with formation for sentence.
12. The poor are not always happy. “The poor” is --- Noun.
A. Plural Common✓
B. Plural Proper
13. In the world “hyper sensitive” the prefix “hyper” means.
14. We need two hundred dollars --- this to pay for everything.
A. As well
15. I could not sleep --- very tried.
A. although I was✓
B. in spite of
C. because I am
D. have a pain
16. The boy takes after his mother. Here “takes after” means---.
B. go behind
C. resign from an important position
D. climb down the stairs
17. The boy was run --- by a car.
18. We round --- the meal with sweets.
19. We done --- the good work.
A. keep at
B. keep on
C. keep up✓
D. keep out
20. He poured the tea --- the mug.
Explain: pour something into something. For example, the government has poured into the education system.
21. He fought --- to defeat the enemy.
A. set out
B. to and fro
C. tooth and nail✓
D. to the quick
22. But for your help we --- in trouble.
A. have been
B. had been
C. were being
D. wound have been✓
23. I don't mind --- if you are tired.
A. to drive
D. to be driving
24. I'll come to meet you at the station in my car --- you do not have to walk to my house.
B. so that✓
25. The police --- for the robber for long but they have failed to find him so far.
A. have looked
B. have been looking✓
C. has looked
D. has been looking
26. He will be arriving quite late, so by the time he comes, the play --- ?
A. would have begun
B. will begun
C. will have begun✓
D. would begin
27. He bought a three --- suit.
28. I meet him after a long time, but he gave me the cold shoulder. Here “cold shoulder” means:
A. scolded me
B. insulted me
C. abused me
D. ignored me✓
29. He could be easily arrested because the police were tipped off in advance. Here “tipped off” means---.
A. Topped over
D. Given advance information✓